For all the updates from our team including class timetables please visit our Active Leeds for Health page where you will find the timetables after the menu
Active Ageing in Leeds is for people who are aged 45 and over...
No matter your age or physical condition you are likely to benefit from being more active. There are plenty of activities available across Leeds for older people. If you have a health or mobility problem, the Health Programmes team is the place to start.
We also have mainstream activities such as gym, fitness classes and swimming at Active Leeds Leisure Centres. Our Age Friendly programmes are run at many of the leisure centres and are specifically designed for older people.
There are also 34 Neighbourhood Networks across Leeds which offer a range of activities in the community for older adults.
Where can I take part?
- Leeds City Council Leisure Centres Enquire at your local leisure centre, for Age Friendly activities.
- Leeds Sailing and Activity Centre
- Age Friendly Sessions, a programme especially designed for the over 50’s that can include more than one activity in each session (aerobics, circuits, gym). For more information about this please contact your local leisure centre
- Falls Prevention Postural Stability Classes - Leeds City Council offer a structured programme of exercise for people at risk of falls. The programme is delivered by qualified instructors in a range of leisure centres and community centres across Leeds. The programme is designed for people with low mobility and focuses on improving balance, confidence and to reduce the fear of falling.
- Falls Prevention Quality Assurance Scheme- Leeds City Council Provides Support for community based exercise providers to ensure they are delivering safe and effective exercise classes to people who are at risk of falls. To attain the 'Is it Fall Proof' award, classes have been fully assessed to ensure they deliver the right level and standard of class for older people. The 'Is it Fall Proof' award gives providers a range of support to enhance their programmes and allows them to bid for small grants to enhance their service
- Parks Leeds has some fantastic green space for activities such as walking, cycling and fun games like Rounders and Frisbee.
- External link opens in newwindowSports Clubs
- For information and courses on fall prevention visit External link opens in new window NHS Choices
- Take a look at the Centre for Ageing Better's website for useful resources and information regarding strength and balance. link opens in new window Centre for Ageing Better
- To see what is going on across Leeds for older people click here.
Active Leeds supports the Come in and Rest Scheme, if people need a rest while shopping and moving around their community, these shops and businesses are happy to offer a seat. Click here to view.
At Active Leeds we are working to become a Dementia friendly organisation. For more information please click the links below: